The Church of England has places of worship in Cowick, Hensall, Pollington, Snaith and Heck.

There are Methodist churches in Carlton, Snaith and Hensall, and a Roman Catholic church in Carlton.


St. John the Baptist Parish Church of Pollington-cum-Balne was built by the 7th Viscount Downe, William Henry Dawney, a British Politician. His family were responsible for the impressive house we all know as Cowick Hall. When William lost his father in 1846, he had already made a commitment to the building of churches.

The architect chosen was William Butterfield who shared Viscount Downe’s vision of the work of the church in the villages of England. The clay for the bricks was excavated at Brick Pond Farm on Balne Moor Road, just a short distance from the site. The kilns were situated in the woodland area to the rear of the pond. We are told that all three foundation stones for the local churches were all laid on the same day, 4th July 1853. Pollington-cum-Balne Church was completed and consecrated by Dr. Musgrave, Archbishop of York on 14th November 1854. 

Lord Downe was responsible for partial furnishing of the church and vicarage. He also furnished the schoolhouse at what was said to have cost the grand sum of ten pounds!

The first vicar was the Rev. G.F.Pearson from Beverley.

The Rector today is the Revd. Eleanor Robertshaw (contact via email or telephone 01405 860866 / 07718123138).

Services are at 10:45 on the first and third Sunday.  The first Sunday is Cafe Church and the third is Holy Communion.