Skip to main content

This is the Village

Pollington is a rural village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire that sits alongside the Aire and Calder Canal.  It is a popular venue for anglers, narrow boat owners, cyclists, walkers and equestrians.  The current population is around 1000 persons in 320 homes.

There is archaeological evidence of Bronze Age and Roman activities in the Pollington area.  The name is of Saxon origin, and the medieval village had some 400 inhabitants involved principally in farming.  The canal was constructed in the 1820’s to facilitate shipments of coal to the port of Goole.  Pollington was home to the army, land army and RAF Snaith during World War Two.  During the 20th century, the nation’s need for construction materials and energy brought new forms of employment to the area. 

To explore the history of Pollington, you may visit the 3 Heritage Boards (on the Village Hall, in Pinfold Lane, and by Pollington Lock), and/or join the History Group.

We have a pro-active Parish Council that has a strong interest in the quality of life for the village inhabitants. The Neighbourhood Watch Group maintains a vigilant eye for any suspicious activity. The Noise & Dust Committee and Cross Border Action Group deal with issues arising between the village and its neighbouring industries.

The local NHS Clinic is The Marshes, in Butt Lane, Snaith.  There is a defibrillator on the front wall of the Village hall.  Click here to see how to use it.

Pollington has its own Preschool, Primary School and Church. The Secondary school is in Snaith, just 2.5 miles from the village, with a bus service for the students.

Village Clubs and Groups include the Bowls Club, Brownies, Cricket Club, History Club, Monday Club, Soccer Clubs and the Yorkshire Countrywomen's Association.

The village is on mains gas and mains drainage.

Public buses come through the village on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

The village pub is the Kings Head in Main Street.  Parkside Guest House is next to the village hall in Main Street.

The town of Snaith, located 2.5 miles north, has all the usual services and facilities one would expect of a small town, but no public loos, no banks and no big supermarkets.  These are to be found in Selby and Goole, each about a 25 minute drive away.  The post office is in the Co-op, and there is a cash dispenser just across the road from there.  Parking in the town can be difficult, but the station car park in George Street usually has space and is free to use.

 

Updated October 2016.